Friday, September 8, 2017

A (brief) discussion on Content

Mostly, the ELA modules emphasized for me how well I am already doing in aligning my classroom with common core.  The two big things that stuck out for me were the following:

1. There is a large focus on vocabulary acquisition and an emphasis on the fact that said vocabulary is necessary not only for English for for all other academic subjects as well.  Yet, it seems to suggest that acquiring this vocabulary should primarily take place in the English classroom.  However, would it not be better to purposefully introduce and use this vocabulary across all the relevant subjects in order to increase the chances that students truly assimilate the vocabulary instead of just learning it for a test or quiz?  I ask this because I absolutely abide by something called "The Curve of Forgetting."  If you haven't worked with it, I highly suggest you look it up.
2. The reading and annotation strategy suggested in the module is a paired down version of an AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) strategy.  In AVID, they call it "Marking the Text," and there are many things that students are taught to look for and to question in order to deepen their knowledge of whichever text they are working with in class.  I have found "Marking the Text" to be highly effective in not only helping students enhance their knowledge, but in helping me to determine where students are still confused and need more help from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment