Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Romeo and Juliet - Rehearsal 14

Today we'll be working on music all day.  That means that once again I can blog during rehearsal.  I'll break today down by song, though there may not be a whole lot written for some of the pieces.

"For What It's Worth" by Buffalo Springfield
This is the only song we're using all three guitars for.  One to play harmonics, one to play the bass line and one to play chords.  Now if they could just agree on a rhythm... much better.  First time all the way through it's sounding good. Oh, except for the end... which they've now agreed on and we're doing our last run of the song for today.  Now that the rhythm is worked out and everyone is together and the end is clean, this song is sounding really good.

"All We Have" by Mat Kearney
It's so pretty... even when Paul screws up the words.  I knew there was a reason I picked the trained voice to sing this song.  I knew I wanted something pretty and just a little sad right before everyone starts dying.  I clearly made the right choice.  Such a lovely song, with a lovely voice.  It's a fantastic contrast to the messy violence that is about to come in the next scene.  This song was even good last Saturday when they hadn't really rehearsed... it's only getting better.

"Medicine Man" by The Hush Sound
 Ok, I must admit that when Hollinger had the idea to use PVC pipe to play the bass line for this song, I was skeptical.  However, now that we've got that together with a tambourine and AJ singing, it sounds pretty cool.  Now, all i have to do is decide whether or not to have the musicians on stage with AJ or leave them upstairs in the balcony.  Lastly, I will admit that there is nothing more fun to watch than Wagoner with a tambourine.  If you come see the show, you'll know exactly what I mean.

"Stars" by Switchfoot
This song is hard melodically, but the boys (AJ and Johnny) are pulling it off so I'm trying to keep hands off as they go through it.  However, they we just under on some of the high notes in the chorus, so I had to speak up.  And, after I said something, they were dead on.  Song. Done.

We were supposed to rehearse three more songs this evening (including the full company number), but the snow was just stupid... so I canceled the rest of tonight's rehearsals and moved them to Sunday.  Better luck next time. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment